AAPL’s newest course offering is designed to familiarize Land professionals with surface rights and the myriad issues associated with acquiring, exercising and preserving those rights. It focuses on why, when and what rights may be needed, and how to research and protect existing rights. It discusses a variety of surface-related contracts and their use. It includes commentary on easement valuation, damage claim investigation and resolution, and the challenges of governmental permitting.
Upon completion, participants should:
· Improve their overall understanding of surface rights and surface access issues
· Know how and why surface rights are needed, how to research existing rights and when additional rights may be required
· Gain familiarity with various types of surface use agreements and their application
· Improve their understanding of the surface damage and claim resolution process
· Develop an appreciation for the importance and complexities of jurisdictional permitting
· Understand the criticality of building constructive, collaborative relationships with public officials