King’s Daughters Child Care Center History
Celebrating 125 years of Child Care
The King’s Daughters Child Care Center, Inc. is a private, non-profit organization that provides licensed child care services located at 61-13th Street in Wheeling. The child care program is offered weekdays, from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm, to children ages 6 weeks until Pre-K (5 years old). Total enrollment averages 80 children with daily attendance at approximately 50 children. Of the children who attend our Child Care Center, about 64% receive financial assistance due to lower income levels.
The mission of our agency is to provide quality services that are affordable to families at all income levels. To promote quality, our agency funds continuing education for our staff and pursues capital campaign fund-raising to maintain a safe and nurturing facility.
Our agency’s current work is part of a 125 year legacy of service that began in 1889 when a local branch of the International Order of The King’s Daughters and Sons organized a daycare center in Wheeling for working women. Employment for women in the Ohio Valley was primarily in three occupations: hand rolling leaf tobacco into stogies (Marsh-Wheeling Tobacco Company), production of yard goods (J.L. Stifel & Sons) and sorting and packing hand blown glassware in factories along the Ohio River.
With the continuing involvement of local members of The King’s Daughters organization, our childcare agency is governed by a community-based volunteer Board of Directors, employs a staff of 20 and is able to return funds to our community in the form of wages and the purchase of goods and services from local businesses.