Steptoe & Johnson Recognized for Empowering Women
Firm Earns Gold Standard Certification
Bridgeport, WV -- The Women in Law Empowerment Forum has released its preliminary list of law firms that have qualified for its new Gold Standard Certification. The designation highlights firms in which women are prominently represented at the highest levels of leadership and compensation.
?Steptoe & Johnson has a long history of encouraging female attorneys,? Brewer began. ?I think that, going forward, there will be more and more women in leadership roles at our firm as well as others,? she says. ?All the way up to CEO.?
The certification process went beyond simply looking at the percentage of women employed at law firms. It focused on whether firms are significantly represented in positions of power and among the top-earning attorneys.
To be certified, firms had to meet at least three of the six criteria:
- Women account for at least 20 percent of equity partners.
- Women represent at least 10 percent of firm chairs and office managing partners.
- Women make up at least 20 percent of the firm's primary governance committee.
- Women represent 20 percent or more of the firm's compensation committee.
- Women make up at least 25 percent of practice group leaders or department heads.
- Women represent at least 10 percent of the top half of the most highly compensated partners.
In 2009, Brewer succeeded Robert M. Steptoe, Jr. to become the firm?s managing member and the first woman to become CEO of a major West Virginia law firm. At that time, only eight percent of law firms nationwide were led by women.
To read the entire article, please visit: http://bit.ly/lNOaNe
About Steptoe & Johnson
Steptoe & Johnson PLLC is a regional, business-focused firm with particular strengths in energy, labor, employment, and litigation. It comprises over 200 lawyers resident in ten locations throughout Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Steptoe & Johnson PLLC
Chief Marketing Officer