Steptoe & Johnson's Education Law Team is experienced in working with public and private educators to help them find effective solutions to legal challenges that they face every day. Team members are familiar with educators' needs as well as the legal climate in which they must operate, and they provide counsel that is proactive as well as cost-effective.
Team members possess a broad variety of specialized legal knowledge, and regularly partner with other Steptoe & Johnson attorneys to assist clients with specialized matters important to educational entities such as real estate transactions, bond issues, tax and compliance issues, and employee benefits and compensation.
- Represented multiple institutions in addressing Clery and Title IX complaints and compliance issues
- Drafted Title IX sexual misconduct policies for multiple institutions in aftermath of 2014 guidance
- Mediated highly visible environmental dispute involving controversial NPDES permit
- Assisted client with commercial and contract issues for an affiliated company which provides on-line education and financial tracking information for insurance agents and securities brokers
- Defended Board of Education in high profile suit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union alleging violation of the separation of church and state
- Defended Board of Education in claim alleging violation of First Amendment and due process rights by student disciplined for using social media
- Jury trial on behalf of board of education where severely-injured student sought damages for injuries sustained while skipping class
- Defended numerous county boards of education from workers' compensation claims and protests regarding denial of benefits, treatment issues, and claims for indemnity benefits
- Represented local board of education at all levels of the West Virginia Public Employees Grievance Board, West Virginia Department of Education Citizens Appeals, employee misconduct hearings, student hearings and special education due process hearings