Britt Freund concentrates his practice in mineral and energy law. He is an Assistant Practice Group Leader and an integral part of the firm’s Energy and Natural Resources Department. Britt represents coal and oil and gas producers, financial institutions, and mineral owners with regard to all aspects of real property development, mineral production and sales, and finance transactions.
Britt enjoys working with clients to achieve exceptional results in resolving disputes, both in and out of court, and assists with transactions of all sizes.
- West Virginia
- J.D. Duquesne University Kline School of Law
- Chair, EMLF Kentucky Mineral Law Conference, Lexington, KY, October 15-17, 2019
- Board Member, Western Pennsylvania Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Trustee-at-Large, Energy & Mineral Law Foundation (EMLF)
- Commerce Committee, West Virginia Independent Oil & Gas Association
- Committee Chair, CFF Corporate Cup of Southpointe, 2016-2018
- Oil & Gas Chair: EMLF Kentucky Mineral Law Conference Lexington, KY, October 21-22, 2015
- Energy Law Committee, West Virginia State Bar
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2015 to present
- CALI Awards – Constitutional Law; Advanced Constitutional Law
- Finalist, AAJ National Moot Court Competition
- “Up in the Air: Issues that Arise with Wind Development,” EMLF 39th Annual Institute, Nashville, TN, June 17-19, 2018 (Presented by Britt Freund and Dylan Lewis)
- Contributor, “Pure Play Strategies, Quality Assets Add To M&A Opportunities,” Editor’s Choice, The American Oil & Gas Reporter, June 2018
- “Held by Production Leases: Where Does the Leasehold End?,” by Britt Freund, Petroleum Engineer’s Club of Dallas, Dallas, TX, April 7, 2017
- “Held By Production Leases: When Are They Actually Held?,” by J. Thomas Lane, Britt A. Freund and J. Breton McNab, 36 Energy & Min. L. Inst. § 25, 2015
- “Carbon Sequestration: Critical Property Rights and Legal Liabilities – Real Impediments or Red Herrings?,” by Britt Freund, 32 Energy & Min. L. Inst. §23, 2011
- “Much To be Gained by ‘Pooling’ Together Oil & Gas: Powering Our Future!,” Views and Visions, Bowles Rice, Spring 2011
- Britt speaks at various educational programs regarding legal and business issues related to mineral development.
- “Multi-State Review of Real Estate Tax Sales and Tax Deeds: The Effect of Tax Deeds on Oil and Gas Leases and Easements in Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia,” Pennsylvania section by Britt Freund and Alaina R. Hill, 35 Energy & Min. L. Inst. § 20.05, Energy & Mineral Law Foundation White Paper, 2014