Clients have told Christopher Nahley that he’s an important part of everything they do, both legally and operationally. Although Chris did not originally set out to be an oil and gas lawyer, his early experiences in the field quickly developed into a thorough enjoyment of the subject matter. This enjoyment compelled a tireless desire to absorb all content he could find to develop this specialty practice. For more than a decade, Chris, an Alabama native, has been working in the Marcellus and Utica Shale plays, helping clients secure mineral assets, writing and managing title projects, navigating complex oil and gas operating issues, and leading due diligence projects and transactions involving the sale and acquisition of mineral assets. Chris is well-versed in the legislative process and closely monitors how legislative changes impact his clients, both at the state and federal level. Although Chris considers it his job to prevent lawsuits, he’s no stranger to litigation and is always prepared to prosecute or defend any action relating to his clients’ operations.
In addition to his work with oil and gas exploration clients, Chris has worked with solar and wind energy companies throughout various stages of site acquisition, including but not limited to negotiations and drafting lease agreements.
Chris’s approach to clients is practical, straightforward, and efficient and he brings a unique perspective to his practice with his previous experience and time spent as a petroleum and natural gas landman and attorney.
- On behalf of Appalachian-based oil and gas client, conducted transactions to secure $6.5 Million in mineral assets
- Advised client on the 2019 West Virginia Co-Tenancy legislation and the impact on operations
- Led a large team of abstractors in the Marcellus and Utica Shale Plays
- Negotiated lease acquisitions in the Marcellus Shale on behalf of a multi-state oil and gas operator
- Drafted more than 500 title opinions in multiple counties in West Virginia
- Represented solar and wind energy clients in negotiations and drafting of lease agreements with landowners
- Defended oil and gas companies in mineral title and landowner lease disputes in multiple state courts, including lease termination
- Favorably resolved disputes and litigation between landowners and operators
- J.D. Faulkner University Thomas Goode Jones School of Law
- Member, GO-WV Legal Committee
- Member, GO-WV Environmental Committee
- Treasurer, Generation Mid-Ohio Valley
- Board Member, YMCA of Parkersburg
- Member, North Hills Town Council
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Wood County Bar Association
- WV News Generation Next 40 Under 40, Class of 2023