Evan’s approach to the practice of law is one of continual improvement. From a very young age, his parents challenged him to strive to be better tomorrow than he was today. What he was able to glean from this advice was to avoid complacency, recognize opportunities for continued learning, and remain focused to seize upon future opportunities when they are presented. Evan applies this ethic to his daily practice as a member of the Steptoe & Johnson Energy Litigation Team.
Previously, Evan worked for a West Virginia-based law firm handling various energy related matters and also worked as an in-house attorney for a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based coal operator and natural gas exploration and production company, where he engaged first-hand with the company’s asset development plans advising on legal matters affecting operations and providing other guidance to facilitate development of the Marcellus and Utica shale formations in north-central West Virginia.
Evan provides a well-rounded practice to address the legal needs of clients. As his career has developed, Evan has been recognized as a Best Lawyers in America® “Ones to Watch” and Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Energy Law.
- Drafted amicus curiae briefs for industry trade group in cases involving the scope of implied surface use rights under oil and gas leases and an oil and gas operator’s obligation to plug and reclaim oil and gas wells.
- Represented landowner in dispute involving timber contract.
- Represented operator of oil and gas wells in obtaining injunctive relief for right of access to perform maintenance operations at oil and gas wells.
- Represented oil and gas company in contract dispute involving lease exchange agreement.
- Represented public utilities in condemnation proceedings for the acquisition of property rights in connection with public improvement projects.
- J.D. West Virginia University College of Law
- Gas & Oil Association of WV, Inc.
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Metallurgical Coal Producers Association
- West Virginia Coal Association
- West Virginia State Bar Association – Young Lawyers Division
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Energy Law, Oil and Gas Law, 2021-Present
- 2021 West Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star, Energy and Resources
- Presentation: “The Rule of Capture, Subsurface Trespass and Shale Gas Development” by Evan G. Conard, Shale Gas Law 2018 Seminar, West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, West Virginia, November 9, 2018