Greg maintains a diverse practice. A seasoned litigator, he has extensive experience litigating insurance coverage, employment, contract, and tort claims. As Co-Leader of the Steptoe & Johnson Insurance Company Team, he is well versed in insurance coverage issues. He represents and advises insurers on coverage questions and bad faith allegation avoidance, and regularly litigates coverage and bad faith cases. Greg also litigates employment, tort, commercial contract, and construction defect disputes. This includes third-party insured defense and direct representation of entities and individuals.
In addition, he advises and represents buyers in energy development, residential home, and farmland real estate acquisitions. He also represents renewable energy companies in contract negotiations and advises them on corporate governance, business formation, and employment issues. Greg provides these same services to numerous businesses, ranging from sole proprietors to Fortune 500 companies.
Greg takes pride in helping his commercial clients run their businesses smoothly by identifying and avoiding potential legal issues, advising on corporate governance, representing buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions, negotiating commercial leases and contracts, and representing his clients in litigation. Greg handles real estate purchases from identification and purchase agreement negotiation through due diligence and closing. In the renewable energy sector, his work includes representing solar developers in contract negotiations, employment issues, and entity formation, as well as providing intellectual property assistance.
Greg also frequently advises businesses on employment matters and defends them against employee claims. On the front end, Greg negotiates employment contracts, non-disclosure agreements, and confidentiality agreements, and advises on policy and procedure development and amendment. When employee issues arise, he conducts outside counsel investigations and defends his clients from administrative actions and litigation.
Regardless of whether he is litigating in the courtroom or negotiating a contract, Greg strives to efficiently obtain optimal results for his clients, while minimizing their risk exposure. His goal is to ensure his clients get the best possible representation and outcomes.
Greg is a Lexington native. When he is not golfing, he enjoys spending time with his wife and their two dogs.
- Prosecuted and recovered favorable settlement on behalf of client carrier from other insurance carrier in rehabilitation in complex insurance coverage and indemnification claims for litigation expense for several lawsuits over a ten-year period
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer in COVID-19 business interruption coverage and bad faith case
- Negotiated renewable energy contract on behalf of solar developer
- Represented purchaser in $2,000,000+ energy development real estate purchase
- Negotiated employment contract, buy-sell agreement, non-disclosure agreement, and operating agreement on behalf of new owner in company pursuing NIL deals
- Represented business owners in corporate restructuring and purchase of other ownership interests in company
- Represented purchaser in $2,000,000+ residential real estate purchase
- Prepared policies and procedures, employee handbook, employee contracts, including confidentiality and non-compete agreements, and all other necessary documents for company to manage its employees
- Negotiated commercial lease and franchise agreement on behalf of company
- Conducted outside counsel investigation of employment discrimination allegations
- J.D. University of Kentucky J. David Rosenberg College of Law
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association Leadership Conference, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch – Commercial Litigation (2024), Litigation – Labor and Employment (2022-Present), Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (2023- Present)
- Articles Editor, Kentucky Journal of Equine Agriculture & Natural Resources Law, 2013-2014
- “Minimizing Damages from Initiation of Suit Through Trial,” NBI Seminar 2019
- Tropic Thunder: A Substantial Insurance Claim for Simple Jack’s Execution?, First Look: Issues & Developments in Insurance Law, Steptoe & Johnson, PLLC (Spring 2023 ed.)
- Emerging Risks, First Look: Issues & Developments in Insurance Law, Steptoe & Johnson, PLLC (Summer 2022 ed.)
- Social Media & CGL Coverage B: Artful Pleading Circumvents Exclusions, First Look: Issues & Developments in Insurance Law, Steptoe & Johnson, PLLC (Winter 2022 ed.)
- Mass Shootings: Multiple Claimant Considerations, First Look: Issues & Developments in Insurance Law, Steptoe & Johnson, PLLC (Fall 2021 ed.)
- Kentucky Supreme Court Finds Contradictory EUO Testimony Supports IME & Signals Increased Scrutiny of PIP Denials for Lack of Causation, First Look: Issues & Developments in Insurance Law, Steptoe & Johnson, PLLC (Summer 2020 ed.)
- Decker v. Northwest Environmental Defense Center: How Judicial Irresponsibility Saved the Logging Industry, 6 Ky. J. Equine, Agric. & Nat. Resources L. 367, 2014