John Callcott represents businesses in matters involving occupational safety, traditional labor and workplace litigation. In relation to occupational safety, Mr. Callcott assists companies both in the immediate aftermath of industrial accidents and in the follow-on events. This includes interactions with OSHA and other federal and state agencies, as well as pre-litigation preparation and planning. Mr. Callcott also represents management in OSHA matters, including inspections, investigations, and enforcement actions. He chairs the firm’s OSHA/Workplace Safety Team and works with the firm’s Emergency Response Teams.
Regarding his traditional labor practice, Mr. Callcott assists management before the NLRB as well as in grievances pursuant to collective bargaining agreements. He has handled numerous proceedings and dealt with a variety of unions, including the US Steel Workers, the International Chemical Workers’ Union, the Utility Workers Union of America and the United Brotherhood of Carpenters.
Mr. Callcott has a broad litigation background. Over his 25+ year career his has litigated a variety of matters, including workplace accidents, commercial, fraud, construction and employment related lawsuits.
Mr. Callcott works with businesses of many types, including the oil and gas industry, chemical, manufacturing, construction, coal, transportation and health care.
Click Here to read Mr. Callcott’s article: New OSHA Reporting Tactics Cause Confusion for Employers
- Represented employers in numerous proceedings before the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission
- Defended numerous industrial accident claims in the chemical, oil & gas, coal, manufacturing and other industries, involving allegations of wrongful death, serious injury and property damage
- Defended numerous employers against claims of age, race, national origin, sex and disability discrimination
- West Virginia
- J.D. Vanderbilt University Law School
- Buckeye Service Transmission Exploration & Production Safety Network (Executive Board Member – 2016)
- West Virginia Oil & Natural Gas Association
- The Shack Neighborhood House (Past President and Board Member)
- American Bar Association – Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation – Labor and Employment (2012-Present)
- “Conflict Resolution in the Construction Industry,” WV Contractor’s Association – May, 2023
- Accident Investigations, OSHA and Workplace Safety Litigation – Private Employer Training– December, 2015
- OSHA End of Year Update – Buckeye Steps – December, 2015
- PSM Rule Making Activity, Other PSM Expansion Efforts – Appalachian Basin Gas Processors Association – November, 2015
- Mr. Callcott is a frequent speaker and author on employment and litigation-related topics, with an emphasis on technology issues.
- Chapter Reviewer, Occupational Safety and Health Law Treatise, 3rd Edition (2016) and 4th Edition (Est. 2023)
- “New OSHA Reporting Tactics Cause Confusion for Employers,” West Virginia Employment Law Letter, May, 2015