Matt Schlensker focuses his practice in the areas of mineral title and energy law. He has extensive experience in drafting title opinions, division orders, and limited acquisition title opinions. He has handled various complex oil and gas title issues, and has analyzed and interpreted deeds, contracts, agreements, assignments, and other title instruments affecting surface and mineral estates, royalty interests, and developmental interests.
- Drafted and reviewed documents covering 100,000 net acres as park of a $6 billion acquisition in the Eagle Ford for a Fortune 500 independent oil and gas provider
- Managed title review related to a $330 million transaction involving more than 5,000 leases and 10,000 tracts in Midland County, Texas for the largest publicly-traded, non-operated exploration and production company in the U.S.
- Managed title review related to an $8.75 million acquisition of minerals and royalties in Angelina, Nacogdoches, and San Augustine Counties, Texas for a client which owns royalty interests in more than 4,000 producing oil and gas wells across the U.S.
- Advised mineral-buying company regarding the process to drill and operate its first well in Jack County, Texas
- Drafted and reviewed documents as part of a $500 million transaction covering more than 22,000 net acres in Martin County, Texas for the world’s largest alternative asset manager
- Prepares drilling title opinions and division order title opinions throughout the SCOOP, STACK, and Arkoma basins
- Reviews OCC spacing and pooling orders to assist clients in their drilling operations
- Prepared original title opinions, supplemental title opinions, and division order title opinions
- Conducted due diligence project and assisted in curing title defects concerning hundreds of leases and almost 100,000 net acres
- Drafted ratifications and other documents to assist clients in purchasing land and maintaining leases
- J.D. South Texas College of Law Houston
- B.J. University of Missouri
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Certification in Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law
- State Bar of Texas
- Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of North Dakota
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- Tennis Tournament Committee Co-Chair, Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- Board of Directors, Houston Tennis Association
- “Community Leases and Entirety Clauses,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen, November 2013
- “Rucker v. DeLay and the Future of Perpetual Royalty Interests In Kansas,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen, October 2012