Peter Anastopulos is the attorney you want on your team when you go to battle. At the core of his practice, Peter helps clients navigate complicated and potentially costly and disruptive situations with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Whether it’s a small business navigating malfeasance by an employee, a family creating multi-generational wealth, or an entrepreneur working to maximize profits, Peter brings his passion for tax law to the table. Clients often say that Peter is calm under pressure, creative, and solutions-driven. Peter represents clients in federal, civil, and criminal tax controversies with audit, litigation, investigations, or collection matters related to the IRS. Peter has a track record of success helping clients facing tax problems that could result in not only an increased tax bill, but also a criminal investigation or prosecution.
Peter also advises clients on tax and estate planning matters to help them avoid potential disputes with the IRS and minimize tax liabilities under the Internal Revenue Code. Clients appreciate that Peter takes the time to learn the ins and outs of their businesses and industries, all with the goal of helping his clients achieve their individual and business goals.
- Successfully represented a client through an estate tax examination, resulting in the IRS conceding over half a million in proposed penalties and generating an additional unclaimed refund of over $150,000 for the client
- Resolved a multiyear IRS income tax examination involving a taxpayer who received fraudulent tax advice on the sale of their business, saving the client over $2.3 million in proposed penalties
- Successfully represented a construction company in litigation involving construction accounting methods and civil fraud penalties, resulting in a full penalty concession and 95% concession in the taxpayer’s favor on the income reporting
- Represented a client in an IRS administration hearing, resulting in IRS conceding over $1.2 million in trust fund taxes
- Represented a dentist in an income tax audit of his Schedule F farming operations, resulting in a full concession and acknowledgment by IRS the client materially participated in the secondary cattle breeding operation
- Successfully filed and obtained relief of tax liabilities through offers-in-compromise, innocent spouse, injured spouse, and other administrative remedies with the Internal Revenue Service and state taxation authorities
- J.D. University of San Diego School of Law
- LL.M. University of San Diego School of Law
- B.B.A. Southern Methodist University
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2018-2023
- Named among Super Lawyers Rising Stars (Tax) by Thomson Reuters (2013-2015)
- Named among Super Lawyers (Tax) by Thomson Reuters (2020-2022)