Clients appreciate that Bill Powell is a straightforward attorney who cuts through the fluff and gets to the heart of the matter. Bill’s pragmatic nature has been an asset to private clients for more than three decades and made him an effective United States Attorney who actively sought justice in high-stakes criminal activities, including drug conspiracies, national security matters, murder and other violent crime, and major fraud cases.
Bill has a unique skill set that is a combination of bet-the-company civil defense and high profile prosecution. The common denominator in his experience is that he is solutions driven and understands when to take a stand and fight and when a different approach is warranted. For business clients, Bill has a vast litigation history that includes the defense of claims involving product and professional liability, personal injury and white collar crimes. Bill is a member of the firm’s White Collar Crime and Corporate Investigations Team and its ESG Team.
Clients across the board appreciate Bill’s respect for confidentiality, his ability to manage complex situations with grace, and his willingness to take a position on their behalf.
- Represented clients in complex commercial litigation and other legal matters, including white collar criminal defense and investigations in multiple venues
- Represented corporate clients in resolving business to business disputes
- Involved with the prosecution of Medicaid fraud cases involving hospitals, physicians, and pharmacies
- Defended airplane manufacturer in products liability litigation involving a plane crash
- Represented hospitals and physicians in professional negligence actions
- Represented energy companies in environmental litigation, personal injury, MSHA investigations, and white collar criminal investigations
- Represented manufacturers of products liability litigation, including airplanes, outdoor equipment, and automobiles
- Represented businesses, including banking, housing and manufacturing entities in contract and other commercial dispute litigation and mediations
- Represented the LDS church and individual leaders in litigation regarding child abuse allegations
- Acted as a mediator in civil matters
- Conducted internal investigations for corporate defendants facing potential federal criminal charges
- Represented clients facing suspension and/or debarment by federal agencies
- J.D. West Virginia University College of Law
- West Virginia Executive Magazine, 2020 Lawyers & Leaders Award
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation (2023-Present), Criminal Defense: General Practice (2024-Present), Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2007-Present)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- AV Rated, Martindale Hubbell
- Fellow, West Virginia Bar Foundation
- Fellow, ABA Bar Foundation
- Columnist, The Journal, Martinsburg, West Virginia (2009-2017)