Crystal “Cris” Bombard-Cutright can tell you a lot about an elbow replacement, deep brain stimulation, geriatric issues, and a variety of other medical issues and surgical procedures. As a litigator who focuses on matters related to healthcare, Cris thrives on connecting the law with the medicine and dives in, becoming a student of the subject and tapping into her natural curiosity in order to learn everything she can to defend her client. Cris works hand in hand with medical experts to develop a defense strategy to help the client choose the most effective route to matter resolution.
Many times, Cris and her colleagues are an extension of in-house legal and risk management teams. In an effort to mitigate risk for her clients, Cris works closely with in-house teams, counseling them on best practices, corrective courses of action, and to help them see risk where they may have a blind spot.
Cris is also called in to handle matters involving injury or fatality in the commercial trucking and transportation industries. This highly regulated industry is governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and Cris advises clients on what to do in case of an accident in order to comply with the ever changing and complex regulations.
Within the law firm, Cris is the Assistant Practice Group Leader for the Professional Liability Group and is active in efforts to train and empower paralegals, with a goal of more effective client service.
- Successfully defended surgeon at jury trial for malpractice claim involving joint replacement
- Defended commercial trucking companies in litigation involving fatalities
- Obtained summary judgment for the widow of a business owner in a partnership dispute
- Negotiated settlements for nursing homes and assisted living facilities in personal injury claims
- Sought enforcement of arbitration agreement between long-term care facilities and patients
- Represented physicians and medical practices in medical malpractice litigation
- Represented long-term care and assisted living facilities in wrongful death and resident care litigation in West Virginia state courts and federal court
- Drafted briefs for the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals and the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- J.D. West Virginia University College of Law
- B.A. West Virginia University
- West Virginia Rural Health Association
- Pennsylvania Healthcare Association
- Ohio Healthcare Association
- Kentucky Rural Health Association
- Kentucky Association of Health Care Facilities
- West Virginia State Bar
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Phi Beta Kappa, Member
- Order of the Coif
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation – Health Care (2024-Present)