Gillian Flick has been a part of a team consistently since she started playing soccer at age 10. The lessons on teamwork that Gillian has learned throughout her years as a soccer player and now a coach are just a few of the ingredients that make Gillian a successful lawyer and trusted colleague. Gillian uses her skills to help clients in the energy industry in Appalachia, as well as higher education institutions in Pennsylvania.
Gillian started her career in the energy industry and has grown to love the challenges that the fluctuating energy market provides. Clients appreciate that Gillian is nimble, responsive, and efficient, and therefore a good steward of their resources. Gillian works with oil and gas developers on their transactional matters, including title examinations and title opinions, and due diligence for acquisitions. In addition, she assists oil and gas clients in the preparation and review of all documents relating to mineral title ownership, including easements, deeds, leases, and other transactional contracts and documents.
As a member of the firm’s Higher Education Team, Gillian has counseled colleges on FERPA-related issues. She is ready and able to defend colleges and universities in grievances, faculty tenure matters, and employment matters.
Gillian is a member of the firm’s Renewable Energy Team and assists clients with their wind, hydroelectric, and solar operations.
Gillian’s belief that “we win as a team and lose as a team” makes her a valued partner who helps her clients navigate the unknown, strengthen their teams, and come out with a win.
- Conducted due diligence for the $10,000,000 acquisition of drilled wells and undeveloped leases in the Appalachian Basin
- Prepared and conducted real estate closings for an energy company involving the sale of coal, oil, gas, and other minerals
- Assisted in the preparation of and drafted division order title opinions for oil and gas companies
- Conducted and reviewed title examinations and prepared title opinion reports on coal, oil, gas, and other minerals
- Assisted in the management of and performed due diligence with large-scale asset acquisitions
- J.D. Duquesne University Kline School of Law
- B.A. Washington & Jefferson College
- President, Board of Directors, Women’s Energy Network 2021
- Immediate Past President, Board of Directors, Women’s Energy Network 2022
- Greater Appalachian Basin Association of Lease and Title Analysts (GABALTA)
- Leadership Development Initiative XXII
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Women’s Energy Network 2020
- Women’s Energy Network, 2018-2019 Director of Membership, 2017 Corporate Membership Chair
- Young Professional Women in Energy (Programming Director, Past)
- Michael Late Benedum Chapter of the AAPL
- Board of Directors, YouthWorks (a partner of Goodwill)
- Woman of the Year Award Recipient, Women’s Energy Network 2022
- 2018 Woman of the Year Nominee – Greater Pittsburgh Chapter of Women’s Energy Network
- “Students and Mental Health Issues on Campus,” AICUO Annual Collaborative Conference, June 6, 2019
- “Threat Assessment and Crisis Management,” Meeting Today’s Challenges in Higher Education, May 23, 2019
- “Employment Laws: Possible Changes Under the New Administration,” Changes in Higher Education Law & The New Administration, May 25, 2017
- “Strip Searches in the East: Oil & Gas Title Under Waterways, Roads, and Railroad Rights-of-Way,” 2014 CONSOL Land School, Canonsburg, PA, September 18, 2014
- “New Tools to Address Blight and Abandonment,” Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania, 2011
- “Looking Ahead: The Higher Education Landscape Under the Trump Administration,” ACS/Steptoe & Johnson PLLC Newsletter, August 2017
- “The Abandoned and Blighted Property Conservatorship Act,” Handbook for Allegheny County, Urban Redevelopment Clinic for Duquesne University School of Law, 2011