Hampton Rose’s multi-faceted practice is rooted in a desire to help clients get things done. Hampton leads Steptoe’s Real Estate Practice Team and is the Chairman of the West Virginia Bar Association Real Estate Division. Hampton is a licensed title insurance agent in West Virginia and represents buyers, sellers, and lenders in commercial transactions and related financing, often involving mineral and real property assets. Hampton has vast experience in negotiating deal terms, drafting transaction documents, managing due diligence, and insuring title of collateral in commercial and energy transactions large and small.
Hampton is also a zealous advocate for clients who seek guidance navigating both the legislative and executive branches of state government. Hampton, a registered lobbyist, represents clients in a broad array of industries before the West Virginia Legislature to shape policy on issues vital to their success.
Prior to law school, Hampton operated heavy equipment in West Virginia coal mines and was certified as a “black hat” miner. That experience provided Hampton a front row seat to the energy industry in West Virginia and helped him develop his skills as a problem solver.
Clients appreciate Hampton’s collaborative, amiable and dogged approach, rooted in his desire to make West Virginia and the Appalachian region a better place to do business and raise a family.
- Negotiated loan terms, drafted loan documents, and conducted closing on behalf of national lending institution for the financing of an urban mixed-use development
- Represented lender in a transaction for the construction of hotel project in Marshall County, West Virginia in excess of $11M
- Managed credit facilities for a large energy conglomerate to ensure accurate collateralization of loans held by large financial institution
- Part of a team of multi-disciplined lawyers and professionals in a transaction to finance the purchase of traditional oil and gas wells in seven West Virginia counties. The project, completed for a multi-state bank, involved the due diligence and perfection of security interests for over 640 wells and over 1000 mineral and surface leases.
- Negotiated and facilitated the acquisition of mining assets from Chapter 11 debtors in several ¬ß363 bids
- Assisted clients in acquiring real property via the West Virginia tax lien process, including perfecting and defending challenges to the tax deed
- Protected bank’s security interest in real property that is sold due to unpaid taxes
- Represents clients in every facet of the oil and gas industry in the Marcellus and Utica basins, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, credit facility maintenance, litigation, permitting, title examinations and due diligence
- Represents buyers, sellers and lenders in multi-million dollar commercial real estate transactions and developments in West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia
- Drafts and analyzes legislation for a wide-array of clientele and counsels those clients as to the impact of proposed legislation on their respective businesses
- Represents borrowers and lenders in establishing and maintaining multi-million dollar credit facilities
- J.D. West Virginia University College of Law
- B.A. West Virginia University
- Member, Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation Economic Development Working Group
- West Virginia Bankers Association
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- West Virginia Oil & Natural Gas Association
- Member, Contractors Association of West Virginia
- Member, Rotary Club of Charleston
- Read Aloud West Virginia
- West Virginia Bar Association Executive Council
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Energy Law (2022-Present), Oil and Gas Law (2022-Present)
- Emcee and Presenter, West Virginia Bar Association Real Estate Division Annual Meeting – Stonewall Resort, Roanoke, West Virginia (2021)
- Guest Lecturer, “Oil and Gas Law,” West Virginia State University (2018-2019)
- Presenter, “Tax Sales in West Virginia,” Southern Appalachian Association of Professional Landmen (September 2019)
- Panel Moderator, “Relationship Between Land and Legal in Marcellus and Utica Operating Companies,” Appalachian Land Institute (October 2019)