Steptoe & Johnson attorneys and lobbyists help clients pass legislation that furthers their business interests before state agencies, state legislatures, and the United States Congress. Our “people first” approach allows us to build trusted relationships with our clients and law makers to resolve business matters legislatively. This often involves articulating why it’s important for the state and industry and how it will impact both.
Our team is experienced, results-driven, and cost effective when it comes to handling strategic issues that involve the legislative and executive branches. Our governmental relations services address concerns involving, economic development, energy, environmental, financial services, gaming, government procurement, healthcare, industrial and public safety, insurance, labor, petrochemicals, taxation, technology, and telecommunications laws and policies.
Our team has assisted clients in advocacy, appropriations, bill drafting, monitoring and lobbying, state government procurement, issue management, strategic planning, and communications.
Download Service Brochure (PDF)
- Successfully lobbied for passage of multiple bills to accelerate the build-out of middle-mile broadband infrastructure
- Successfully lobbied for passage of generic prescription drug reform for national client
- Successfully lobbied against passage of state regulation of gaming activities championed by the Horsemen
- Successfully lobbied the Executive Branch culminating in execution of multi-million dollar statewide contract
- Successfully lobbied for passage of Cotenancy Modernization and Majority Protection Act on behalf of largest oil and gas producer in West Virginia
- Successfully negotiated, drafted amendments, and lobbied for passage of major utility legislation on behalf of West Virginia utility trade association
- Successfully lobbied for passage of supplemental appropriations bill to ensure government agency had adequate funding to pay technology company
- Successfully lobbied against passage of tax and mandatory coverage legislation negatively affecting managed care organizations, legislation negatively affecting online gaming operators in the thoroughbred racing industry, and banking legislation negatively affecting credit unions
- Lobby Executive Branch agencies regarding administrative rulemaking
- Advise clients regarding state government procurement-related matters
- Draft, monitor, and advocate for passage of legislation
- Lobby the State Legislatures
- Facilitate access to and meet with federal and state policymakers
- Prepare clients for testimony before legislative committees
- Build grassroots support for our clients’ projects
- Shepherd grants through state and federal agencies