When clients select Jay LaJone to help them through complex financial transactions involving real estate, his accessibility, responsibility, and commitment are an asset in getting deals negotiated and closed. Jay believes that he needs to fully understand his client’s business objectives, so he can be sure deals are documented to achieve those objectives, while not risking transactions by insisting on items that are not as important to the client. With 35 years of experience, Jay has represented both companies and individuals as sellers, buyers, lenders, borrowers, developers, landlords, and tenants in sales, partnership and corporate transactions, loans (mortgage, construction, and mezzanine), stock transactions, and leasing.
- Representation of a publicly traded real estate corporation in the sale of multiple apartment complexes located in Texas, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Arkansas, and Louisiana to a newly formed joint venture between the selling corporation and an investment bank. The assets had a combined market value in excess of $1 Billion and included the assumption of existing financing as well as a new mezzanine loan
- Representation of a corporate seller of three large apartment complexes in Texas for over $50 Million
- Representation of an institutional insurance company in its $6 Million and $18 Million preferred equity investments in mixed-use projects in Texas and California
- Representation of a lender in a $4 Million development loan for a residential subdivision in Frisco, Texas
- Representation of an owner in an $8 Million acquisition, development, and financing for a residential subdivision in Lucas, Texas
- Representation of a buyer in the $27 Million acquisition and a loan assumption for an apartment complex in Ashford, North Carolina
- Representation of the seller of an island in the Caribbean in excess of $20 Million
- Representation of numerous clients in obtaining approvals from HUD for new loans and assumptions in Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and North Carolina. These loans ranged in size from $2 Million to $18 Million
- Representation of a seller of $40 Million in receivables from municipal utility districts located in Texas
- Representation of an institutional lender in loans to retail shopping centers in Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, California, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas. These loans ranged in size from $1.5 Million up to $6 Million.
- Representation of an investor in the sale of its interest in grocery stores in Hungary and hotels in North Carolina. These transactions involved sales ranging from $4 million and larger.
- Representation of an owner of a large office building in Dallas, Texas in a lease of an entire floor
- Represented borrower in an $85 million loan from a NY lender secured by an office building located in Texas with active tenants.
- Outside general counsel for a publicly-traded company which is involved in purchases, sales, loans, public financing, and leasing
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas