Like Joe Louis the heavyweight boxing champ, Joe Lewis the attorney doesn’t pull any punches. He uses this forthright approach to solve legal and business issues for corporate clients. Joe is at the table with his clients in a variety of situations and in every stage of the lifecycle of their business. Clients turn to Joe for a variety of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, asset financing and purchases, and divestitures of business assets and real estate. Joe often supports senior litigators in the firm and is a valuable resource in defending complex litigation involving breach of contract, CASPA actions, and shareholder disputes.
Joe comprehends the impact of the transaction at hand and assists his clients in navigating tax, employment, financial, operational, and regulatory challenges that may arise.
Joe is a member of the Financial Services team of the firm, as well as the Data Privacy and Security team. In both instances, he is a valuable resource, helping clients protect their assets, both digital and tangible.
- Prepared documents and provided closing services on behalf of a national bank for a revolving line of credit secured by operating assets
- Revised a variety of consumer lending documents on behalf of a national financial institution
- Formed arguments in Pennsylvania involving adverse possession of both commercial and residential real estate
- Provided guidance to a fintech organization regarding the legality of minor-owned depository accounts in all 50 states
- Analyzed data privacy laws across the country and provided guidance for clients on the impact on their operations
- Drafted estate documents including wills, deeds, and estate accountings
- Assisted regional dental practice with the acquisition of a competing dental practice, including advising on a consulting agreement
- Reviewed and advised on third-party vendor agreements for use of medical equipment, including the impact of HIPPA and sharing of patient data
- Represented a regional bank in a multi-million dollar transaction for the construction of a high-end car dealership in an urban setting
- Represented a software development company on HIPAA requirements for covered entities and recommended language in Master Service Agreements, Statements of Work, and Business Associate Agreements
- Represented borrowers and lenders in a wide variety of financing transactions, including, secured and unsecured commercial financing transactions (including syndicated and bilateral credit facilities, senior and subordinated credit facilities, asset-based credit facilities, acquisition financing, and real estate financing)
- Defended rural zoo against an animal rights organization in claims of public nuisance and endangered species act violations
- J.D. Duquesne University Kline School of Law
- B.B.A. Columbus State University
- More Than a Game
- Pittsburgh Technology Council
- Duquesne Law University B.E.S.T Mentor 2021
- American Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Duquesne Law Review