Your business is hit with a lawsuit. Or a regulator comes calling. And your heart sinks.
Your business is your baby, and no one should threaten it with legal action. The challenges of growing your business are great enough already.
No one wants to defend a lawsuit or undergo a regulatory investigation. But they happen . . . every day.
That’s where the business litigators of Steptoe & Johnson come in. We’re here to guide you through every step of defending legal threats to your business. It’s what we do . . . every day.
Importantly, while we are very capable in the courtroom, we recognize that going to trial does not always serve a business’s interests. We tailor the approach to each dispute to reduce risk and get our clients back to what they do best – grow their businesses.
Download Service Brochure (PDF)
- Represent corporate entities in contract disputes (small and large) and utilize appropriate litigation resources to resolve the dispute effectively and efficiently
- Co-lead counsel defending large pharmaceutical distributor in more than 3,000 opioid lawsuits in state and federal courts nationwide; responsibilities include developing arguments for and implementing removal of state court suits to federal court
- National and regional lead counsel in representation of banking industry in check payment and regulatory litigation, negotiable instruments, bank deposits, and collection, as well as in matters involving the Uniform Commercial Code and associated federal acts and regulations
- Represent banks and financial institutions in defending consumer credit actions brought under state and federal laws
- Represented majority and minority shareholders in numerous “business divorce” lawsuits involving closely held companies in state and federal courts
- Obtained summary judgment in consumer class action against a bank asserting claims about fees for insufficient funds
- Represented energy client in multiple disputes with general contractors and subcontractors arising from pipeline and compressor station projects, including defending lawsuits and negotiating settlements with contractors and subcontractors to resolve claims and mechanic’s liens for unpaid and defective work
- Defended lenders (and servicers) in all types of consumer claims and regulatory actions
- Pursued and defended breach of contract actions in many industries, including financial services, health insurance, and construction
- Pursued and defended unfair competition lawsuits
- Pursued and defended intellectual property lawsuits (patent, trademark, and copyright)
- Obtained injunctive relief, sometimes very quickly, including temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions
- Developed innovative arguments for removing state court lawsuits to federal court
- Argued successful appeals in state and federal courts
- Defended breach of contract lawsuits for the energy industry
- Represented clients in the Business Court divisions of various State courts, including complex tax and commercial disputes