Marcia DePaula understands the importance of authentic connections by engaging in thoughtful conversation, active listening, and exhibiting empathy. Clients appreciate Marcia’s ability to make connections with them, but more importantly, her ability to provide solutions to their problems.
Marcia understands the importance of being face-to-face with clients, and she can routinely be found conducting on-site client visits, seeking feedback, and providing training.
Marcia focuses her practice in the areas of labor and employment law and higher education. Marcia’s practice is a unique blend of litigation prevention and litigation defense. Marcia helps employers work through Title VII, ADA, FMLA, and ADEA related to discrimination, harassment, accommodations, discipline, and termination. Success in counseling clients is rooted in her willingness to listen to her client in order to understand the legal situation, as well as the impact on business operations and workplace environment. Marcia negotiates collective bargaining agreements and handles grievance arbitrations.
While litigation can be exciting, most employers don’t have the same mindset. Marcia works to make the litigation process as effortless as possible for her clients. Marcia is frequently advocating for and defending clients before administrative agencies, including the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and in state and federal courts.
Marcia is a very well-rounded attorney. In addition to her employment practice, Marcia advises private universities on GDPR, FERPA, Title IX, and Title VII. Marcia has extensive experience in commercial and business litigation, including banking, construction, and advertising.
Additionally, Marcia serves as Practice Group Leader for the Labor & Employment Department and serves on the Strategic Planning Committee of the firm. She participates in the firm’s Higher Education, Banking, Real Estate, and Financial Services teams. Similar to the way she connects with clients, Marcia has an open-door policy and uses her leadership and relationship-building skills to develop and mentor other firm lawyers.
- Trial counsel for complex commercial litigation, banking, and labor and employment law
- Successfully litigated cases to verdict wherein clients were awarded in excess of $1 million
- Drafts sexual misconduct policies to comply with Title IX guidelines and provides training to Title IX Coordinators, investigative teams, and hearing panels
- Counsels multiple higher education institutions regarding the release of information and compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Defends colleges and universities in grievances and employment matters
- Advises on COVID-19-related employment issues
- J.D. University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- B.A. University of Pittsburgh
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Employment Law Alliance (ELA)
- Graduate, Leadership Pittsburgh XXXII
- Manufacturer & Business Association (MBA)
- Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry – Labor & Employment Committee
- Pittsburgh Human Resources Association (PHRA)
- Pittsburgh North Regional Chamber
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- University of Pittsburgh Scholar
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Washington County Bar Association
- Delegate to the European Union Visitors Program in Brussels, Belgium, where she discussed potential solutions to deceptive sales over the Internet
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Labor Law – Management (2024-Present), Litigation – Labor and Employment (2021-Present)
- Law and Justice Award, Order Sons of Italy in America
- “The Intersection of Transactions and Labor & Employment Law,” Association of Corporate Counsel webinar, January 2023
- “Keeping Cool as Social Media Heats Up,” 2021 Virtual PHRA Annual Conference & Exhibition, October 2021
- “Union Trends in Higher Education,” Pittsburgh Business Times, April 2016
- “Social Networking in the Workplace,” Washington County Bar Association, 2013
- Continuing Legal Education Presenter – Legal Issues in Advertising, Identity Theft, and Privacy & E-commerce