As an attorney with ten years of experience as in-house counsel in a diversified energy company comprised of upstream and midstream oil and gas businesses and a coal business, Matthew Hutnick provides clients with a unique understanding of the legal and business issues that energy companies face. His combined law firm and in-house experience gives him a unique perspective and makes him a value-added benefit to his clients. Drawing on his previous experience, Matt is able to equip clients to make better business decisions by helping them understand complicated issues and the related legal and business impacts.
Matt focuses his practice on oil and gas, coal, and coalbed methane contracts and real estate matters. He assists clients with acquisition and divestiture of surface, oil and gas, CBM, and coal assets, drafting and negotiation of lease, license, right of way and easement agreements, and settlement of real property disputes. Matt has participated in the formation, operation, and dissolution of joint ventures, including drafting and negotiating joint operating agreements, development agreements, cooperation agreements, purchase and sale agreements, and gas-gathering agreements. He has also assisted energy companies with environmental asset matters, including development and management of projects producing carbon credits, offsets, renewable energy credits (RECs), and emission reduction credits (ERCs), and the sale of such environmental attributes to third parties. Matt has coordinated and performed mineral title examinations and due diligence for significant divestitures and acquisitions of oil and gas and coal assets in the Appalachian Basin.
- Assisted with the formation, development, and eventual dissolution of upstream and midstream oil and gas joint ventures focused on the Marcellus Shale formation in Pennsylvania and West Virginia
- Assisted with formation and operation of upstream oil and gas joint venture focused on the Utica Shale formation in Ohio
- Represented energy company in connection with formation of joint venture focused on development and operation of methane emission control systems and generation of environmental attributes
- Represented energy and natural resource companies in connection with asset acquisition and divestiture transactions, including the drafting of transactional and conveyance documents; participated in related due diligence investigations, including review of title, environmental issues, property rights, and litigation matters
- Represented oil and gas company in connection with the sale of environmental attributes related to coal mine methane
- Provided analysis of complex title issues and guidance on applicable law in conjunction with due diligence for acquisition and divestiture of oil, gas, coal bed methane, and coal assets, including preparation of conveyance and curative documents
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
- J.D. University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Admitted to the State Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and West Virginia
- Admitted to United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania