Phil Griffith is a self-proclaimed history nerd who loves to unravel the often complex chain of property ownership to give his clients clear title to mineral rights in the Appalachian Basin. Rarely does someone get to match their personal passion with their career, but Phil does just that as he helps clients solve mineral title questions and protect their businesses.
Phil writes and reviews mineral title opinions, is involved in division order title opinions, and works with curative services to resolve title defects.
In addition to Phil’s mineral title practice, he also has a depth of knowledge in residential property law and assists clients who are buying, selling, or refinancing residential real estate.
Clients who work with Phil know that he doesn’t take himself too seriously, that he invests in making relationships fun, and, most importantly, that he understands the value of clear title to their success.
- Experienced in foreclosure and collection
- Experienced in commercial workouts representing creditors ranging in size from local lending institutions to regional and national corporations
- Conducted large-scale due diligence mineral title examinations
- Managed large abstracting teams in multiple states to assist major energy clients
- Managed mineral title examination projects and performed senior review of mineral title opinions
- North Dakota
- West Virginia
- J.D. West Virginia University College of Law
- B.A. West Virginia University
- President, Greater Appalachian Basin Association of Lease and Title Analysts (GABALTA)
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- West Virginia Oil & Natural Gas Association
- Independent Oil & Gas Association of West Virginia
- Michael L. Benedum Chapter of the American Association of Professional Landmen
- Friends of Coal
- National Association of Lease and Title Analysts (NALTA)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Natural Resources Law (2024-Present), Oil and Gas Law (2024-Present)