Tom Vorbach has always been a curious person. When you talk with him, you quickly notice he works hard to get to know you with genuine interest and compassion. As a seasoned and trusted lawyer, Tom uses the same sense of inquisitiveness to learn about the work of his clients and the issues they face in their business endeavors.
Tom’s legal practice has evolved from a mix of taxation and business transactions into more focused areas involving export/import assistance and related regulatory and enforcement issues and policies, complex planning for closely held entities, and foreign investment in the United States. He closely follows the activities of CFIUS and the latest developments with FCPA compliance requirements. With 30+ years of traveling over 4 continents, Tom’s interest in everything international comes easy to him.
In addition to his inquiring mind, clients enjoy working with Tom because of his broad legal knowledge and his willingness to bring others to the table to achieve the most effective client-focused solution. He brings real-life personal business experience to the discussions as an entrepreneur himself. Tom knows what it’s like to be on the other side of a transaction.
Tom cares deeply for his colleagues and is an unofficial mentor and sounding board for younger attorneys within the firm. Working with Tom, either as his client or colleague, is never dull and though he shies away from talking about himself, you will often hear him talking about his latest travel adventures. If you get the chance, sit down and talk with Tom. You won’t be disappointed.
- Formed Alzheimer’s focused medical research organization and its for-profit subsidiary and serve as outside general counsel
- Created a $3 million private foundation which has made $1 million in grants to nonprofits with a focus on controlling animal population and assisting mentally impaired individuals
- Served as outside general counsel to the foundation of a major University in West Virginia
- Represented institute in merger of its business and assets, including a $100 million building, into a high tech business park
- Drafted sales and marketing representation contracts for exporters of airline equipment
- Address Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) policies and Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) matters for clients
- Advised growth-mode chemical manufacturing client on a number of rapidly changing international issues related to Russian sanctions, imports, exports, and day to day business activities
- Advise clients on Foreign Trade Zones
- General counsel for medical research organization
- Formed non-profits in support of technology-based economic development
- General counsel for the university foundation
- J.D. West Virginia University College of Law
- LL.M. University of Florida
- B.S. West Virginia University
- Board of Directors, West Virginia District Export Council
- Board of Directors, TechConnect West Virginia
- Boy Scouts of America-Eagle Scout
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) (2016-Present), Nonprofit / Charities Law (2010-Present), Tax Law (2007-Present), Trusts and Estates (2010-Present)
- Best Lawyers® 2019 Morgantown, WV, Trusts and Estates, Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Morgantown, WV Tax Law Lawyer of the Year
- Mr. Vorbach guest lectures at the West Virginia Export Manager class at West Virginia University and Marshall University.
- Mr. Vorbach has been a featured speaker at West Virginia CLE seminars on taxation and has spoken to numerous groups on estate planning, estate administration, and non-profits.