OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, we approach diversity as a naturally integrated component of our culture that impacts every facet of our business - from recruitment, to the workplace environment, to development and advancement. We believe that our commitment to diversity, inclusiveness, and mutual respect is best demonstrated by what we do.
Mike Flowers, former member of the Board of Governors of the American Bar Association, is Steptoe & Johnson’s Director of Diversity & Inclusion.
This position and our ongoing pursuit of improvements demonstrate the firm’s strong support of diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Our commitment to diversity and inclusion starts at the top, guided by the vision and dedication of our CEO, Susan Brewer, with support from the Executive Committee.
- Female CEO is one of only 12% in the nation according to Law360’s 2018 Glass Ceiling Report. She is a long-standing diversity champion who, in the 1980s, wrote the firm’s Family Leave policy when she was expecting her first child – a policy that was adopted by many firm clients.
- The firm developed a new Parental Leave Policy in 2019, which includes unique benefits such as MilkStork and Mindful Return.
- Implemented the D Cubed Program, which guides everyone in the firm to consider diversity and inclusion in all decision-making.
- Standing Diversity & Inclusion Committee addresses the needs of attorneys with diverse backgrounds and includes members of the firm, as well as the firm’s Director of Human Resources, and Director of Attorney Recruiting & Professional Development.
- Create and support internal affinity groups, such as the Veterans Inclusion Council, the Working Parents Alliance, and the Women’s Leadership Initiative.
- We value veterans’ enormous past and present contributions within the military, as well as the diverse, meaningful paths they embark upon as civilians. We are firmly committed and dedicated to the recruitment and retention of veterans from all service branches.
- Continually enhance our diversity-focused recruiting efforts for all levels of attorneys and professional support personnel.
- Actively recruit diverse attorneys and staff members through numerous channels, including on-campus initiatives and minority job fairs.
- Ensure individuals’ opportunities for professional development and advancement within the firm are not limited because of sex, age, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, or any other category protected by law.
- Establish procedures for measuring the firm’s success in attracting, retaining, and advancing lawyers from diverse backgrounds.
- Ensure that women and diverse lawyers play an integral part in firm management and leadership.
- Three of the firm's four departments are chaired by females, including the firm’s largest department, the Energy & Natural Resources Department, led by a female attorney who was the first woman to graduate from her university as a petroleum engineer.
- 43% of the firm’s Executive Committee is female.
- 24% of firm members are female.
- 21.7% of firm departments and practice groups are led by women.
- Two firm offices are managed by females.
- Participate and maintain an active presence in diversity-focused organizations, such as The Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), a national organization which comprises more than 250 corporate chief legal officers and law firm managing partners who have dedicated themselves to creating a truly diverse U.S. legal profession.
- These initiatives foster a work environment of mutual respect, open-mindedness, appreciation, and understanding that welcomes different perspectives and backgrounds.
As Steptoe & Johnson PLLC continues to grow, we strive to cultivate an environment that always values our differences.
We believe that diversity, inclusion, and mutual respect are essential values that not only strengthen and enhance our firm culture, but also contribute to our ability to more effectively serve a broad range of clients and provide the highest quality of service in a manner that exceeds client expectations.
We believe that the best ideas come when lawyers and staff with diverse backgrounds and experiences embrace one another's uniqueness and share their perspectives. We see our individual differences as assets that strengthen what we can accomplish as a firm.