OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, we believe that diversity, inclusiveness, and mutual respect are essential values that not only strengthen and enhance our firm culture, but also contribute to our ability to more effectively serve a broad range of clients and provide the highest quality of service in a manner that exceeds client expectations. We believe that the best ideas come when lawyers and staff with diverse backgrounds and experiences embrace one another's uniqueness and share their perspectives. We see our individual differences as assets that strengthen what we can accomplish as a firm.
We also value veterans’ enormous past and present contributions within the military, as well as the diverse, meaningful paths they embark upon as civilians. We are firmly committed and dedicated to the recruitment and retention of veterans from all service branches.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion starts at the very top. Our efforts to promote diversity are guided by the vision and dedication of our CEO, Susan Brewer, with support from our Executive Committee. In furtherance of its goals to promote diversity and inclusion, the firm maintains a standing Diversity Committee which includes various members of the firm, as well as the firm’s Director of Human Resources, and Director of Attorney Recruiting & Professional Development. We approach diversity as a naturally integrated component of our culture that impacts every facet of our business from recruitment, to the day-to-day workplace environment, to development and advancement. Our mission can be summarized as follows:
We approach diversity as a naturally integrated component of our culture that impacts every facet of our business from recruitment, to the day-to-day workplace environment, to development and advancement. Our mission can be summarized as follows:
- Foster a work environment of mutual respect, open-mindedness, appreciation, and understanding that welcomes different perspectives and backgrounds.
- Actively recruit diverse attorneys and staff members through numerous channels, including on-campus initiatives and minority job fairs.
- Ensure that each individual’s opportunities for professional development and advancement within the firm are not limited because of sex, age, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, or any other category protected by law.
- Establish procedures for measuring the firm’s success in attracting, retaining, and advancing lawyers from diverse backgrounds.
- Ensure that women and diverse lawyers play an integral part in firm management and leadership. To this end, various leadership roles within the firm are currently held by women and/or diverse attorneys, including the positions of CEO, department head, practice group leader, office managing member, and committee chairperson.
Although we recognize that we have more work to do, we are proud of our efforts to promote diversity within the legal profession and of the strides we have made thus far. As Steptoe & Johnson PLLC continues to grow, we will strive to cultivate an environment that always values our differences. In furtherance of our firm’s value of diversity and inclusion, we are an active member in The Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), a national organization which comprises more than 250 corporate chief legal officers and law firm managing partners who have dedicated themselves to creating a truly diverse U.S. legal profession.
Director of Diversity & Inclusion
Mike Flowers, former member of the Board of Governors of the American Bar Association, is Steptoe & Johnson’s Director of Diversity & Inclusion.
This position demonstrates the firm’s ongoing strong support of diversity and inclusion initiatives, including:
- The development of a new Parental Leave Policy in 2019, which includes unique benefits such as MilkStork and Mindful Return
- Creation of internal affinity groups, such as the Veterans Inclusion Council, the Working Parents Alliance, and the Women’s Leadership Initiative
- Enhancement of our diversity-focused recruiting efforts for all levels of attorneys
- Participation and an active presence in diversity-focused organizations, such as LCLD
- Female CEO is one of only12% in the nation according to Law360’s 2018 Glass Ceiling Report. She is a long-standing diversity champion who in the 1980s wrote the firm’s Family Leave policy when she was expecting her first child – a policy that was adopted by many firm clients
- Standing Diversity & Inclusion Committee to address the needs of attorneys with diverse backgrounds
- Department Chair of the firm’s largest department, the Energy & Natural Resources Department, is a female attorney who was the first to graduate from her university as a petroleum engineer
- 43% of the firm’s Executive Committee is female
- 16% of firm members are female
- 12.5% of firm practice groups are led by women
- 2 firm offices are managed by females