Chris’ clients keep him on speed dial. When they ask him, “do you have experience with…?”, most of the time, the answer is yes. Chris is an entrepreneur at heart and when you talk with him, you quickly learn why clients choose him as their trusted adviser.
Chris works hand-in-hand with his clients on a diverse selection of matters throughout the life cycle of their business, from the early stages of business formation and funding to next steps involving growth and operational matters, and finally to those later stages where transition sometimes leads to a sale, merger, or acquisition.
As the former Assistant General Counsel of a publicly-traded company, Chris developed an understanding of the demands on C-Suite executives, especially in-house counsel. His approach to clients is shaped by his experiences both in-house and as outside counsel serving in-house counsel. He knows that clients don’t want to put business on hold while they wait for legal issues to be solved. During his time in-house and after, Chris developed competencies related to sophisticated credit facilities, initial and secondary public offerings, franchise matters, employment matters and the niche area of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, including the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) as well as compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs). He is active in the Supplement Safety Compliance Initiative (SSCI) and the Natural Products Association.
Chris’ pledge to his clients is that when they have an opportunity, a crisis, or a question, he will be there to help find the solution. As their trusted adviser, when clients are in a stressful situation, his first order of business is to help them “stop the bleeding,” develop a strategy to solve the problem, minimize risk and protect their business and, in some instances personal interests.
- Successfully represented minority shareholder in the resolution of litigation involving an attempted forced dilution and buyout of the minority owner resulting in the forced conveyance of the majority owners’ equity to the minority owner
- Successfully represented large multi-national franchisor in the defense of an international franchise claim seeking damages of $120,000,000, winning a defense verdict against the franchisee and winning a counterclaim award on behalf of client
- Represented client in the sale of multiple senior living facilities with transaction value exceeding $100,000,000
- Participated in the successful resolution of a dispute between oil and gas producers relating to use and expense associated with midstream transportation of product
- Represented company in transaction involving the sale of 100% of entity stock to a foreign enterprise in a transaction valued at over $55,000,000
- Represented minority shareholder in the enforcement of purchase option contained in shareholder agreement resulting in the issuance of a preliminary injunction stopping the sale of the company to alternative purchasers and restoring the right of the minority shareholder to purchase the majority interest
- Represented minority owners of limited liability company in seeking an injunction appointing a custodian to preserve the existing value of an enterprise and thereafter coordinating the sale of the primary company asset for a value in excess of $58,000,000
- Represented large multi-national client in litigation involving criminal acts of third parties in both the civil matters as well as the collateral department of justice investigations
- Represented a multi-national manufacturing company in connection with international supply agreements, intellectual property matters and foreign jurisdiction employment issues
- Successfully represented defendants in federal class action filed against food manufacturers and retailers alleging food labeling violations under California statutes and the National Labeling and Education Act
- Successfully defended claim against a national title insurance underwriter using novel and creative litigation strategies which addressed standing of sub-prime lender claimant
- J.D. Duquesne University Kline School of Law
- Member, Board of Directors of the Heart Institute Auxiliary Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation
- Member, St. Clair Hospital Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law (2022-Present)