Rod Payne focuses on civil trial work. He has handled tort and insurance matters for a variety of corporations and insurers with a special emphasis on defending railroads, including the defense of crossing accidents, train derailments, and claims brought pursuant to the Federal Employer’s Liability Act (FELA). Rod has represented corporate and insurance clients in all federal courts in Kentucky and before Kentucky appellate courts.
He has tried 40 civil cases to verdict in state and federal courts throughout Kentucky. His trial experience includes the defense of FELA claims, product liability matters, legal malpractice actions, and various negligence matters involving the defense of trucking businesses, fire loss claims, premises liability claims, toxic tort actions, and class action defense.
Rod is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is listed in the Best Lawyers in America under three separate categories including Railroad Law, Personal Injury Litigation-Defense and Insurance Law. He is admitted to practice in all Kentucky state courts, the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky, as well as the United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- J.D. University of Louisville Louis D. Brandeis School of Law
- B.A. Western Kentucky University
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- United States Marine Corps-1985-1989
- Kentucky Trial Court Review Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year (2023)
- The Best Lawyers® in America, Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation –Defendants and Railroad Law (2017-2023)
- Best Lawyers®, “Lawyer of the Year,” Insurance Law, Louisville (2020)