Steptoe & Johnson’s Energy Transactional Team includes attorneys who assist energy developers, producers, and midstream suppliers in all aspects of corporate and transactional law.
Team attorneys provide guidance on everything from the selection of the most advantageous structure for a business to complex corporate issues and proactive advice on day-to-day operations.
Team members, located throughout Colorado, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and West Virginia, build long-term relationships with clients and serve as trusted strategic advisors on both legal and business issues.
What sets us apart
- $18B in recent, complex energy transactions
- More than 75 attorneys on the Transactional Team
- More than 100 years of experience in energy law
- Significant corporate transactions
- Corporate governance
- Application of fiduciary duty and regulatory standards
- Venture capital and private equity transactions
- Public takeover bids and responses
- Restructuring and privatization
- Local representation and introductions
- Responsible for numerous asset and stock transactions, lease transactions, and legal due diligence for very large acquisitions involving Utica Shale and Marcellus Shale assets
- Handled sale of tens of thousands of acres of Illinois Basin hydrocarbon reserves, prepared documents, handled negotiations with contractor in connection with construction of new multi-million-dollar plant, and handled the negotiation of a lease of thousands of acres of hydrocarbons
- Assisted Fortune 100 and 500 companies in connection with the drilling of several hundred wells for the exploration and development of oil and gas in the Appalachian Basin
- Assisted with recent $10M transaction, including negotiation of terms of transaction, development of term sheet, stock purchase agreement, escrow agreement, due diligence request, coordination of title review, and various consents and certificates
- Represented international entity in the purchase of an equity interest in a U.S. energy company and in the subsequent IPO of that company
- Prepared joint operating agreements, drilling commitment agreements, override agreements, and other documents defining parties’ rights and responsibilities in operating and producing in agreed-upon contract areas
- Coordinated the drafting of a multi-million-dollar alternative resource supply agreement for an electric generating plant, including traditional and unique contract issues, clean air and greenhouse gas regulations, potential tax credits and subsidies for renewable energy sources, corporate tax, and intellectual property