With over 100 years of experience in real estate and community association law, Steptoe & Johnson’s attorneys understand the complex and specific statutes, regulations, and cases that govern community associations and recognize the challenges involved in navigating social issues in communities such as social media and community discourse. Our Community Association Law team represents a variety of property owners’ associations, including master-planned, condominium, townhome, commercial, and single-family communities.
The landscape of real estate is ever-changing. In recent years, there have been changes in regulatory authorities of community associations, an uptick of rentals (short and long term), and an increase in community online presence. These changes bring with them an increase in owner expectations when it comes to community management and operational change.
The depth and breadth of the interface among boards, owners, and management lay the foundation for a successful community experience. Our lawyers utilize the boardroom to educate boards and management on both the law and a multitude of issues confronting community associations, thereby increasing the chances that our community association clients will be able to avoid the courtroom.
While corporate governance, collections, and compliance will always be among the core issues our team addresses, success in the practice of community association law requires a focus on civility and communication with the goal of preservation and enhancement of both community spirit and property values.
Our Community Association Law team regularly provides our clients with a wide array of services, including but not limited to:
- Creation of communities and community associations
- Corporate governance, including opinions, policy guidance/drafting, and state and federal law compliance
- Governing document creation, amendment, and interpretation
- Vendor contract review and master service agreement creation
- Construction contracts, insurance protections, and project management recommendations for major renovations, with the depth to focus these services on condominiums
- Insurance coverage and risk management counseling
- Moderation of productive board and member meetings, including elections
- Collection of delinquent assessments
- Restrictive covenant enforcement
- Alternative dispute resolution and mediation strategy
- Social media strategies
- Communication strategies
- Board orientations and owner orientations
- Labor and employment compliance and risk management
- Legislative update education and document amendment/creation as may be prudent