Steptoe & Johnson’s Energy Team is made up of attorneys and paraprofessionals who provide comprehensive services to the energy industry across the firm’s major practices. Team attorneys have been top listed in a number of energy-related practice areas by the authors of The Best Lawyers in America® and Chambers USA. In fact, authors of the The Best Lawyers in America® ranked Steptoe & Johnson PLLC as top listed in the U.S. in Energy Law.
Team members provide solutions tailored to the specific needs of energy developers, king our team the go-to choice for both Appalachian and mid-continent developers working in the shales.
What Sets Us Apart?
Dedication to shaping energy law for the future
Dedicated team of coal, oil and gas lawyers
Scalable, time-sensitive solutions to meet client needs
Transferrable shale gas experience
Robust abstracting resources
100 years of experience in energy law
Strategic locations throughout various shale plays including the Marcellus and Utica
More than 170 attorneys and more than 200 paraprofessionals serving the energy industry
Capabilities to handle major energy transactions including due diligence
- Experienced in large-scale due diligence, including multi-million-dollar transactions for the purchase of mineral interests
- Drafted and reviewed numerous oil and gas drilling and division order title opinions in major shale plays
- Experienced in unitization, joint operations, DEP and PUC regulation, and local land use regulation
- Analyzed documents relating to oil and gas property issues, including calculation of royalty interests, overriding royalty interests, and title examinations
- Assisted clients with issues related to surface use or surface damages claims arising from coal, oil, and gas operations
- Responsible for numerous asset and stock transactions, lease transactions, and legal due diligence for very large acquisitions involving Utica Shale and Marcellus Shale assets
- Assisted Fortune 100-500 companies in connection with the drilling of several hundred wells for the exploration and development of oil and gas in the Appalachian Basin
- Assisted with recent $10B transaction, including negotiation of terms of transaction, development of term sheet, stock purchase agreement, escrow agreement, due diligence request, coordination of title review, and various consents and certificates
- Prepared joint operating agreements, drilling commitment agreements, override agreements, and other documents defining parties’ rights and responsibilities in operating and producing in agreed-upon contract areas